Rimadyl is a very common treatment for arthritis in dogs. The drug is typically prescribed by veterinarians for aging dogs who are finding it hard to run around as they used to without a lot of pain, but Rimadyl can also be given to dogs suffering from other joint problems such as hip dysplasia. However, in light of a great deal of negative publicity related to serious reactions in dogs after taking Rimadyl, what about a Rimadyl overdose: is Rimadyl unsafe for my dog?[Rimadyl-Overdose]
The exact figures for the number of dogs negatively affected by Rimadyl is not known, but the figures are high enough to cause concern amongst pet owners all over world, especially since Rimadyl is routinely prescribed by many vets without necessarily offering any warnings about potential adverse reactions to the dog’s owner.
Rimadyl overdose: is Rimadyl dangerous for my dog?
Taking too much of any drug is never a good thing and giving an overdose of Rimadyl to a dog is no different. If Rimadyl is prescribed at the correct dosage for the dog’s weight, you are unlikely to have any problems, but if excess Rimadyl is given, the drug can cause a number of serious health problems including liver and kidney failure.[irp]
What is the correct dosage for Rimadyl?
Rimadyl dosage is based on the bodyweight of the dog: 1mg per 1Ib. Rimadyl comes in caplet or chewable tablet form and can either be given to the dog at the vets, or bought online and administered to the dog at home, although you are always advised to only give Rimadyl to a dog under veterinarian supervision because of the potential side effects.
What are the signs of Rimadyl overdose in a dog?
The signs of a Rimadyl overdose in a dog are virtually the same as those caused by an adverse reaction to the drug, namely vomiting, diarrhoea, black and tarry stools, dizziness, confusion, seizures, and ultimately death.
Never underestimate the seriousness of a Rimadyl overdose in your dog—taken in large amounts or in conjunction with certain other medications, including aspirin, Rimadyl is very toxic and will cause liver and kidney failure, gastrointestinal ulcers and bleeding, and eventually, death.
Some dogs experience a bad reaction almost immediately after being given Rimadyl. When this occurs, the dog will require immediate veterinary attention in order to minimise the seriousness of the reaction and to prevent the dog from dying. In other cases adverse reactions caused by a Rimadyl overdose can take a few days or longer to show.
What should I do if I am concerned about a Rimadyl overdose?
If you have unwittingly given Rimadyl to a dog that is already taking a conflicting mediation such as aspirin or corticosteroids, you will need to monitor the dog closely and if you see any sign of a bad reaction, take it to the vets immediately. It can often take a few days for the signs and symptoms of liver damage to manifest, so be alert to tell-tale symptoms such as excessive thirst, lethargy, unsteadiness, jaundice, and eventually seizures.